It’s a shame that when the timing belt cover kept my camshaft sprocket that has been powder-coated blue hidden from view. I have always fancied on of those timing belt covers seen on tuned engines that has holes on them so you can see their bad-ass sprockets. So, out come the cover again.
A bare hole would look a trifle unfinished; a shiny metal trim around the edge would be nice. After some measuring, I thought that one of the old oil scraper piston rings could be put to good use. So I made a 96mm hole on the cover, sanded it smooth and fitted the ring in. A little silicone adhesive on the inside made sure the ring stayed in place.
Should have made the hole a wee bit smaller though. There’s a gap as the ring ends don’t close up properly. I had cut the hole based on the Redblock bore and it didn’t occur to me to take the actual diameter of the seated side of the ring into account. a 90mm hole would have been just nice; you can always file the ring ends to fit if the hole is too small.